The Caribbean is famed for its relaxed culture, and the food is no different, with tangy tastes, amazing aromas and vibrant colours, this Barbadian recipe is sure to brighten up your barbeque, and make it one for your friends and family to remember.
Recipe: Barbadian Chicken Skewers
4 cloves garlic
1 onion, cut into 6 wedges
2 habanero or Scotch bonnet Chilies, seeded
1 bunch spring onions, chopped into small pieces
1 tablespoon of dried thyme
1.5 teaspoons ground blended spices
3cm piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
175ml of rum
5 tablespoons of treacle
4 limes juiced
4 skinless, bonless chicken breast fillets, cut into medium sized pieces
1. Place garlic, onion, chilies, spring onions, thyme, blended spices and ginger into a food processor and blend until smooth. Then season with salt and pepper
2. Transfer mixture to a large, non metallic bowl, and stir in rum, treacle, and lime zest and juice. Place chicken in bowl, and turn to coat. Cover, and marinate for 24 hours.
3. Preheat barbecue for high heat.
4. Remove meat from marinade, and thread onto skewers. Boil marinade in a small saucepan for at least 3 minutes.
5. Brush grill with oil, and arrange skewers on hot grill.
6. Slowly cook the chicken until slightly charred and cooked through, brushing with the marinade every time you turn the meat.
|Slowly cook the chicken until slightly charred and cooked through, brushing with the marinade every time you turn the meat.|
Enjoy your tasty chicken skewers on your luxury Barbados holiday or at home with family and friends.
For more BBQ recipes from around the world, look at our fantastic selection on our BBQ Recipe Page.